Go Crazy? Don't mind if I do!!

We don't allow Ben to watch T.V. (or drink beer for that matter). When you're a stay at home dad, it's not an easy task...the keeping him away from T.V. part...it's much easier to keep him away from beer. I like to

watch a movie while eating lunch, and I eat lunch while Ben is falling asleep (I don't wait till he's asleep because I want to maximize my eating time), and Ben falls asleep in the swing, and the swing is next to the T.V. So, if you can get a mental picture of what was portrayed in that run-on sentence, you'll understand that Ben is still slightly awake while the movie is on. In order to prevent him from watching, we have the swing turned so that he can't see the T.V. Ben, however, is quite interested in pretty lights, and does his darndest to twist himself around so that he can see the T.V. When such an event occurs, I am forced to turn off the movie and read while I eat, much like the cavemen did.

I forgot to explain why we care so much about the T.V. issue. I know Beth grew up watching very little television. Her hobbies as a child included collecting rocks, which she later took out in groups and ran under water because they sparkled better, and coming home from school only to go up to her attic and play "school".

I know what you're thinking: That poor troubled child. I thought the same thing.
In fact, I would allow our child to watch T.V. for the sole reason of keeping him from playing "school" as a toddler but for some inconclusive hearsay. I've
heard that

ADD could possibly be caused by children watching T.V. at a young age. To my logical, yet admittedly highly un-medically trained, mind, this makes sense. Of course, watching a mobile go round at the speed of paint drying could also make them dumber I suppose, but I prefer to think of it as teaching him patience.

In the meantime, to keep him occupied, I walk him around, talk to him via the dog while he's on his tummy (which I'm sincerely hoping does not lead to Son of Sam syndrome), read to him, make faces at him, slowly move colorful objects around him, take pictures of him (and sometimes me) and occasionally take him outside in the shade to watch the cars go by.
I hear that kids get more interactive in the future. For my sanity's sake, I hope it's soon...
3 comments:
Good for you, Josh (Dad). It takes a lot more energy, patience and creativity to keep a baby happy without plugging him into the TV, but Ben is definitely worth it....and so-o-o cute. That stretching video is adorable. Thanks for the great update.
have you not seen 'Meet the Parents'? you're not supposed to talk to the baby like he's a baby. sign lauguage man.
Have you not seen an infant? He doesn't even know he HAS hands yet!
=)
Post a Comment