Wednesday, July 16, 2008

16 weeks and other news...

Ben's a growin' fast! Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten the hang of how to properly take care of an infant yet, but I'm slowly learning...I just hope it's not at Ben's expense...
Today was a cry-fest extrordinare again. I did everything in my power to entertain, but to no avail. Of course, Beth came home, fed him, and he was out like a light. Would that I had milk filled jugs.
We could postulate that maybe he just wants mommy, but that gets shot to heck when we find out that he's a lil angel for the grandparents. Ah well, guess that whole Oedipus complex kicks in quite early...whatchya gonna do?
Aside from my infant inadequacies, he's been smiling a ton and even spouting minuscule bits of laughter here and there. He really likes getting read to and he's kinda sorta getting the hang of reaching and grabbing things. We also think the grandparents might be right about the teething thing...he's a big fan of my knuckles as a snack.
In other news...
My extended family (well aunts and female cousins anyway) was in town this weekend to hang out and see Ben. We went out for pizza at Portabella's on Friday night. It was tasty.
I got to go see one of my all-time favorite bands, Stone Temple Pilots. I have some pics on my phone, but I'm not sure how to get them to the computer and I'm afraid of a monster fee lurking in the shadows to try an do it. The show was awesome. After they broke up a few years ago I never thought I'd get to see them in action, but low an behold, Weiland was gettin the band back together. Scott Weiland, my heroin addicted hero, sounded great and put on a spectacular show.
We also got a new car! We liked the idea of the Prius, but didn't want to have to wait till September to get one (especially because we were driving the Duffy's gas guzzling Xtera in the meantime...which we thank them for!). We now have a Toyota Matrix, which we are quite happy with. It gets great gas mileage, is top of the line safe, and has lot's of trunk space for all our camping needs. The downside is that I had to trade in my Tacoma, which it turns out I really liked, because Ben can't really ride in it. So now I'm ridin' in style in Beth's old car. I plan on tinting the windows, jacking up the suspension, adding an air foil to the back, and getting some really cheap spinners from Walmart. Oh, and getting one of those window stickers for the back that say something like "El Diablo" in cool lettering.
I also played in one of the biggest (if not the biggest) volleyball tournaments in the midwest this past weekend. Jon Schwier, Jonny Z and myself placed 9th out of 40 in the AA division (One level before Open...which is generally dominated by college all-americans). Not too bad, but I honestly think we would have won it if we hadn't lost to a bunch a sandbaggers. These guys shoulda played open, but decided to go AA for...the money? Who knows, I sure hope it wasn't pride though. After they beat us 30 to 15, they rolled over everyone else to win AA and the $1200 purse. It always sucks to find out just how far away from above average you really are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"La Raza" across your front windshield would better qualify your true mexican heritage.

While you're at WalMart buying spinners, you may want to pick up a new Schwier; I hear they come in 6'5" sizes now- looks like you're still using the old 5'er model.