Thursday, July 10, 2008

Ben's Doing Stuff!

That's right. Ben's walking. At 3 months. You wanna piece of this? Best. Dad. Ever.
Ok, so I didn't have time to photoshop myself out, which, admittedly, takes away a bit of its magnificence, but take a second and imagine that I'm not in the video....how cool is that!?
I find it quite odd to see someone that small in even the semblance of walking. I think this is because up until recently I've had to convince myself that Ben is a member of the human race. A quote from Friends says it best, having a kid is like having a dog that slowly learns how to talk.
I say "recently" because just yesterday Ben really started turning on the smiles. Though he stopped smiling at his reflection (was doing that for the past week), he's been smiling at mommy, daddy, stuffed animals, shoes, lights, rugs...pretty much anything. Of course this detracts a bit from the joy mommy and daddy felt at having their son finally smile at them, but we pretend it's our voice he's smiling at when he's looking at those other things.
He's also been flippin' over from his back to his front every time we put him down. In fact, he rarely even goes from his tummy to his back anymore. Along with this comes his determination to move. As with all young'uns, he's kind of at the wheelbarrow stage where he pushes with his legs, but can't seem to get his arms going, so he plows his face into the bed. Often, if he is able to get an arm out front, it's usually his left (unfortunately he might be a lefty...if that's the case, we'll still love him....just maybe not as much...), and so he ends up plowing himself around in a circle with his face as the vertex.
Last week Ben had a fever of 103. We made certain of the temp by sticking the thermometer up his bum, which didn't seem to bother him, and that bothered me. We went to urgent care and found out that the doctor had no idea what was wrong. The fever only lasted about 3 days and both sets of grandparents believe it to be a sign of teething...though I haven't seen any teeth poppin out yet.
We also solved the problem of Ben's crankiness (for the most part), by turning on the A/C. Things have been much better since that point!

No comments: