Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Je ne parle pa Francais


I don't speak French. Thought you might like to know that.

I'll try to get off at least one positive thing each entry before the torrent of unstoppable pessimism, which I excel at if you haven't noticed.

The weather here is nice autumn weather.

There! Glad I got that outta the way; let the torrent commence!!

There is nothing for Ben to do. Ok, that's not technically a torrent, but the expansiveness behind the concept is enough to warrant the word. In fact, it's not really pessimism if it's a fact. Right? You can see in the pictures (which you will not be getting every day, so don't get comfy with that!) that the single playground within walking distance is somewhat...occupied.

And small.

And dangerous.

It's part of a large grassy/tree-ey area next to the Louvre, about a mile or so from us, where people gather because it's the only grass for miles. The playground is a tiny area with 1 slide (for 7 and up) and several small toys, like a merry go round and some bouncy things. Each toy had a minimum of 6 kids on it and most had 10 kids on up.

Did I mention dangerous? There were also 2 small rope cots that kids were trying to fling each other out of as well as a trampoline area where you paid to let your kid go jump on a square of trampoline while 5 other kids did the same thing in close proximity. It's probably more of a lawyer's playground. But, it did look fun.

Oh, and Jetlag: 2 Andersons: 0

We were up most of the night again last night. This time, we're shooting for a 10 pm bedtime for Ben (more like 4 pm our old time), hoping to slowly get us all out of the jetlag vortex. We'll see how it works.

Beth starts work tomorrow, so regardless of how we sleep, we're waking up at 7 am.

Managed to find a crepe stand near me, hurray! It's the cheap street vendor with several flavors, very tasty, but no fresh fruit. There is one with fresh fruit, but it's at a cafe and twice as expensive.

Put together some pesto pasta with chicken tonight and made some homemade garlic bread, so that was nice. Full belly's for the first time since we got here.

Well, ok. We did get Pizza Hut last night cause Beth was gonna lose it otherwise.

And that last picture is Ben's pooping statue. 2 days in a row now, we've found that playing cars on that statue relaxes Ben enough to completely unload all his cares. So to speak.

9 comments:

Grandmo said...

Great pictures Josh! I love the part about the statue effect. There might be something about statues in general that has a mysterious relaxing ...or conversely...stimulating effect on the digestive system. Maybe that is why birds unload their "cares" on them. I could see that this statue, in particular, could have some subconscious vibes to it.

Anonymous said...

Josh---you are very funny----really enjoy the blog----grandma and I will try to hook up skpe and instant messenger. Remember---you are in France---the good ol USA is quite a distance. Love,Mouse

Anonymous said...

I love the pictures too! Ahh; come on; how about pictures every other day! Ben is SO adorable peaking thru the statue's leg :) Grandmo has it right regarding the statue's function. Looks like you'll have to design your own playground for Ben. (Don't ask me how!) Ah...the good ole USA where playgrounds are plentiful and usually not overcrowded; not to mention safer.
Grandma A

gracie's owner said...

Josh, did you bring Legos with you? I hope so! The provide endless entertainment. Go find some.

Hey, that Louvre pic is awesome. I wish I was there. Can you get a pass and go in for short periods of time with Ben? You could go in every day, just for a half an hour, and after 4 months, probably know the place inside and out.

Hey, do you know my movie answers yet?

Sorry about the jet lag and all that business. Hope Beth's first day goes well. How can you be so negative with those two beautiful people surrounding you every day? I don't believe you, I think you are only pretending to be cynical, we call that "joshing"! ahah

gracie's owner said...

Josh, did you bring Legos with you? I hope so! The provide endless entertainment. Go find some.

Hey, that Louvre pic is awesome. I wish I was there. Can you get a pass and go in for short periods of time with Ben? You could go in every day, just for a half an hour, and after 4 months, probably know the place inside and out.

Hey, do you know my movie answers yet?

Sorry about the jet lag and all that business. Hope Beth's first day goes well. How can you be so negative with those two beautiful people surrounding you every day? I don't believe you, I think you are only pretending to be cynical, we call that "joshing"! ahah

gracie's owner said...

Josh, did you bring Legos with you? I hope so! The provide endless entertainment. Go find some.

Hey, that Louvre pic is awesome. I wish I was there. Can you get a pass and go in for short periods of time with Ben? You could go in every day, just for a half an hour, and after 4 months, probably know the place inside and out.

Hey, do you know my movie answers yet?

Sorry about the jet lag and all that business. Hope Beth's first day goes well. How can you be so negative with those two beautiful people surrounding you every day? I don't believe you, I think you are only pretending to be cynical, we call that "joshing"! ahah

Josh Anderson said...

Gracie's owner...is that Alison? No, no legos. He's too young for legs. We had duplos at home, but they are bigger, therefore hard to pack along. And with a 2 year old, they are minutes worth of entertainment at best (occasionally hours...but rarely).

No idea about the movie, I guessed before after your first comment, but I forgot both the quote and my reply...

And I'm only negative about things to do for Ben. That's my job! And, you can't really do any of the fun stuff in Paris with a 2 year old unfortunately.

Josh Anderson said...

Oh, and you can't get a short pass except for like Thurs nights. But it's during Ben's dinner and it's still too expensive to do very often. And Ben wouldn't stand for it.

Anonymous said...

i think gracies owner is Kelly