Saturday, September 11, 2010

Jardin Des Plantes

<---Isn't that a sweet statue!?!? I've never in my life seen a more interesting/gruesome statue. The kicker is that it was in front of where the old playground was. Some sort of subtle hint to potential child kidnappers/molesters that should you mess with a mama bear's cub, you may get a stake in her neck, but she will relentlessly maul you until you are both humiliated by having your pants ripped off and dead by having your neck ripped out. I want that statue in the front entrance of our new home.

That was at the Jardin Des Plantes (Garden of Bears. Just kidding. Plants.) We went there and found an 8 euro ($10) per person zoo. Ben would have been free, but we passed today. They had wallabies outside the pay area and I think we figured that was probably the only really exotic animal in the whole place. Ben and I will head back another time when it's only 8 euros total.

Oh ya, found a good breakfast cafe near us this morning too. I accidentally got a cafe au laite, instead of a chocolate au laite, and Beth was thrilled. For some inexplicable reason she really wants me to drink coffee as well. I assume it's because all addicts, be it crack, meth, etc., all want company for their addiction. It wasn't too bad, considering it was half milk and more than half sugar (added by me).

On the way to the train, and on the train itself, I was reminded that I really wanted to write something about the bums in France. I only got one pic, cause it was opportunistic, and I didn't want to be photographing people in their destitution, but I'll do my best with words.

First off, I am only assuming there is a government safety net. I could be wrong, but there generally is. Second, the police told is in Madison to give to a charity and not to street solicitors because there is a safety net there to help them and giving to that gives them what they need. It seems like a very sound plan, so we don't give directly to the street solicitors. That being said, it's almost hard not to considering the effort these people put in!

Some of them have puppies. Some have kittens. One dude had a kitten sitting on top of one of those organ grinder things that he played as people walked past. The dude I got a picture of walked on the train, started playing, then walked around with a small wallet open. That dude spent a LOT on his equipment...his voice sounded well projected and it wasn't distorted...that kind of mic and hip amp ain't cheap.

After the Jardin, Ben had a nap and then we went grocery shopping cause EVERYTHING is closed on Sunday around here. Ok, there are cafe's here and there....but I have yet to see one open anywhere near us.

Then we headed to Hippopotamus, a famous kid friendly restaurant. It was ok. Beth got a burger, Ben got chicken nuggets and I got the 3 course steak meal. It was Applebees quality, but I was glad we at least got out somewhere for dinner.

Ben did a good job, especially considering how long dinner took. Tip and tax are included in all the prices, so there's no real tip incentive (that's in all French cafe's and restaurants). That's good for the staff I guess, but not so good for the customers.

Nothing big today, but a pretty good day overall!

No comments: