Friday, September 17, 2010

Jardin du Luxemburg (eventually)

I was rushed at the end of my last post due to the fact that Beth's boss was calling any minute. But for some reason they couldn't call our phone number, so instead we had to make an international call them them. For 30 or 40 minutes.

I'll get to that in a second, but first, lemme clarify the end of my last post.

Again, I was not complaining, just listing some minor annoyances of our apartment. They add up to make life less convenient than what we are used to. I mention this not because I don't realize how good we have it. I do. Instead, I mention it because I, like I assume most people, believed France to be right up there with America. I'd say America and ... but I have now have no idea who else is right up there. In the past I would have said France, England, etc. Now I can't be sure.

You have to remember, my vision of France is skewed by my lack of knowledge of American big cities and the fact that I live in an Apartment that we found from across the sea and haven't really seen the inside of any other apartment or house. For all I know, France is right up there with America, and their big cities are just like ours, and their suburbs are just like Middleton. But from what I've seen so far, the outlook is bleak.

If you wanna tell me, ok Josh, it could be worse, then I'd have to say duh, it could always be worse. Even if you live in a 3rd world country. This world has no end of worse if you really put the effort in. I'm just letting you know the facts of the situation we currently find ourselves in. I'm not looking for sympathy, it's not needed, but in order to help you empathize (the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.) with our stay in France, you need to know exactly how it might differ from our past, and your current, situation.

Whew.

I still have to deal with the whole phone call thing, good thing I'm starting this entry at 4:30!!

So Beth's boss called. And I have been censored. So I can't tell you more than that. Good day!

Anyway, Happy Birthday to Beth! She's 22 years old, and doesn't look a day over 17! Amazing!

Ben and I got an early start and headed out to the Jardin du Luxemburg today. We've already been to the 2 parks with things to do for kids, so I figure we can throw in some sight seeing now and then.

We found the place easy enough and got inside and found, to the delight of Ben, a train depot complete with mountains, countryside, 2 tunnels, miles of track and 3 trains named Thomas, Percy and James! Ok, it was a sandbox, but we made it into that scenario, so Ben was happy. Until we had to leave.

So, I didn't get many pictures today, but the place is beautiful. Lemme re-emphasize, if you don't have kids, vacation in Paris! There's a ton to do and see for adults.

And while I'm writing a book with this entry, lemme make sure I'm clear here...there are some things to do for 5 and under in Paris as long as you have an imagination. The biggest problem is that there are no real playgrounds with play equipment for kids to get their energy out.

So, we left the Jardin and got a picnic from a local bakery. I bypassed McDonalds in favor of some healthier more authentic French food. Not an easy choice since Mickey D's has nuggets which are tasty and so much easier to feed to Ben. But the bakery had a little meal for Ben with juice, a sandwich, apple sauce in a suck-squeeze thing and a chocolate egg with a surprise in side (a little ring with a Greek flag on it! neat!...?) I had to operate on the sandwich in order to make it edible for Ben. And we spilled some juice on the bench. And some pepsi. But it was a nice lunch in the park!

Because of that necessary food stop, we got home a little late, 1:30pm, and Ben got to sleep, but I think the trains exhausted him because he just woke up a little while ago (5pm). 3 hours is on the high end of normal for him, but I was hoping he'd be up a bit sooner so he could go to bed at his normal time. Probably better this way though, Beth's up for a later night home tonight I think.

So, wow. Did you read all that? Really? How much time do you have on your hands!!? None any more I suppose...(since the censorship the post has been drastically shortened...)

One of the doctors Beth works with is visiting tomorrow with his wife and one of their friends, so we might go do something interesting. We'll see though. Oh, and Beth's boss told her to take a couple 4 day weekends while we're over here. Any ideas?

And Beth just got home! Cool!

1 comment:

Grandmo said...

That is one fantastic train track. I love the tunnels. I'm not sure if that is Thomas, Percy, or James that Ben is driving, but I'm sure Ben knows.