Monday, December 15, 2008

Christmas Cookies

This past weekend we took a trip down to Illinois to see Beth's friend Holly. That's essentially what this post is about, but before I get to that, a story!
Our child is smart, there's not doubt about that. While it may seem like the idle brag of new parents, there are certain signs that would indicate otherwise. Things that seem like coincidence when taken apart, but when gathered together, indicate an almost alien like super being lurking in the guise of a wobbly pre-toddler. For instance, if Ben is complainy and I mime eating asking him if he is hungry, he will give me one of his big fake smiles (where he clamps his toothless mouth down into a uncomfortably shallow and very wide smile and squints his eyes), or when I say something he may not like (in my mind), like, do you wanna go help daddy fold some laundry? and he blows a raspberry.
Or this: We were playing on the floor and Ben was watching me, so I took a teddy bear and a smaller figure (An "A" with small insect arms, a head and jingly bells on the feet) and put on a little play for him. I said, "This is daddy", indicating the bear, "And this is Ben", the jingly "A". "Daddy helps Ben walk", and I have the bear hold the "arm" of the "A" and they start to walk. Then, "Ben walks by himself!" and move the "A" forward, then, "Sometimes he falls" and let the "A" drop. "That's when daddy comes over and helps him up!" And I walk the bear over and have the bear help the "A" up.

Ben looks at me. He looks at the bear. His little arm shoots out, grabs the bears head, and smacks it to the ground. He looks back up at me and starts cracking up. Coincidence!? I don't think so!!

Anyway...on to our trip. Ben is notorious for not making it across town in a car seat, so we were dreading the 2 hours to Holly's. However, we put him in just before nap time, and despite his waking up early on both the way there and the way back, he never cried (just got a little angry about not being able to move), so it was great.

We got to see Holly and Steve and their 2 boys Matt and Eddy. Holly's brother Blaze was there too, but he didn't wake up Saturday until around 1pm.

Beth had a great time making cookies with Holly and then later making sweet music with her...on the Wii (that's why Beth is holding the wii-mote like a pseudo trumpet in the picture).

Ben had fun trying to taste Eddy. Mmmmm, baby. And Matt did a good job sharing his giant vat of toys with Ben.

We had a great time, but are glad to be home and on vacation for a week!

No comments: