Thursday, December 9, 2010

No room at the inn(s)

Beth stayed home today (Wed) in order to work on her talk she’s giving in Maastricht (Netherlands) and in order to get all the tickets and hotel stuff taken care of.

There was just one small catch. Apparently, Maastricht is a very, very, very popular weekend getaway spot. There is not a single hotel room available anywhere near Maastricht. Not. One.

Beth wasted her whole morning trying to find one, and when I tried calling around later in the evening, I actually got laughed at. The lady said her hotel was booked through December and she didn’t think there were any available in all of Maastricht.

At the moment, it looks as though even if we all could go, it would be a giant hassle to make it work. We’d have to take a train there. Stay in one hotel Saturday night, another Sunday, Monday and Tuesday. Take a 1.5 hour shuttle (costing who knows what) to the airport. And then a 1.5 hour flight to Geneva, where we’ll be for the next several days.

So, either it’s not gonna happen, or Beth will go there by herself Sunday through Tuesday and we’ll meet her in Geneva. But we’ll let ya know how that goes.

Beth needed some Mediterranean food, so we found a Lebanese restaurant and went there for dinner. Now, we love Shish Café in Middleton, and this was just as good. Ben was pretty good at dinner too; it helped that I have some Doctor Seuss books on my I-pod touch that we can read to him if he gets antsy.

While we were waiting, I played I Spy with Ben. I spy...something green, I say. Ben replies, "It's my nooker of course!" I spy...something silver, say. Ben replies, "It's the elevator of course!" I spy...something brown. "It's that man of course!"

Not what I had in mind, but technically correct. We had a hard time trying not to laugh.

I got the plate of 4 pieces of Baklava for dessert, and it was hands down the best Baklava I’ve ever had.

No comments: