Thursday, December 9, 2010

Snow emergency! Relatively speaking...

Yesterday we got between 2.5 and 4 inches. I didn’t mention it because…well, so what?

I found out that “what” in Paris consists of calling in the army to deal with the after effects of the snow. Traffic all but came to a stop outside Paris, so people got out of their cars and walked home, leaving their cars where they were. The army was called in to deal with it, whatever that means. Maybe they just blew them all off the road with c4.

Yesterday was the most snow they’ve had at one time since 1987. I’m so pleased we’ve come to France in a record setting, city and airport shutting downing, snowfall year.

Today we really didn’t do anything worth mentioning. Though on the way to the store, we walked passed 3 or 4 salt crews on foot. Since all the snow on the sidewalks and streets had melted, and the temperature was nowhere near freezing, I felt it was a bit silly.

2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Wow, we got 2-3 inches here this afternoon. Nothing shut down, everyone made it to and from home/work/school/dinner/evening activities without any problem, and there was no army, and unfortunately, no C4.... Joseph did 'help' me shovel, and made is own snow angel by plopping down in the snow and then flailing his arms and legs in all directions. I'll have to work on that with him. Maybe Ben can show him how to do it when you get back...

Josh Anderson said...

It's funny, Beth brought home a paper and the front page said "Paralysis!" and showed a picture of cars in gridlock with almost no snow or ice visible in the picture.

As far as the angle goes...I picked him up, put him where I wanted him, and moved his arms and legs for him till he got the idea, then picked him up again. Like a giant marionette. But it looked good, and that's what's important in life... ;)