2am. Ever in tune with the apartment for signs of a waking baby, my eyes flip open to the sound of ben making his puppy sound. I focus in on it as my mind slowly rises through the marshy waters of sleep, and wonder, is that him? Why is he making a puppy sound and not outright crying?
I get up.
Listen at his door.
Move to the living room.
...
Owls. 2 of them.
Are you serious!? I've not heard one sign of animal life outside our apartment in a year and a half, and the night before a 3 hour trip to Green Bay I wake up at 2am to not one, but 2 owls!!!??
And as I sit here, typing out my outrage, of course they've stopped, and I, well I'm horrible at going back to sleep once I'm wide awake, and so it appears they've succeeded in recruiting one more nocturnal fiend.
It's times like this that I wish I drank coffee.
2 comments:
Oh dear...did you mean ..."so it appears they've (owls) succeeded in recruiting one more nocturnal FIEND" OR friend??? Perhaps you weren't as wide awake as you thought or it was a Freudian slip!
Mom A
Fiend was intentional. Like Poe's raven, they were certainly not friends.
Post a Comment