Tuesday, August 31, 2010

France: Day 1


Ah, jetlag! I think Beth would have been fine if not for Ben. I wake up as the light builds in power, so I'm just peachy.

Ben had a short afternoon nap, about 2 hours (after 3 to 4 hours of sleep in the plane), and then went to bed around 7:30 pm Paris time. We were exhausted, figured he would be too. Lights out!

Ben wakes up at 11 pm and says, time to play! Beth got up with him and they laid there till 3 am or so.

I woke up at 8 am, ready for crepes! (which there don't seem to be any btw. I'm highly dissapointed.) Ben woke up at 11 am and puked.

That's right, he's been sick all morning, every half hour or so, poor lil guy. He seems to be better now though, knock on wood.

And now, some basic questions need answering. How do we find food? What, you say, you're in Paris, there's food everywhere! Touche. And yet...let me clarify, how do you find food if you have a 2 year old, a picky one, and if you want some semblance of a budget, and no car...and don't speak French. Now how do you get food smart guy!?

There's a grocery store, of sorts, about 3/4 of a mile away. It's situated below a clothing store, well I guess it's technically a clothing store with groceries in the basement. It's a small grocery store, with overpriced items...comparable to a copps stuck inside a miniature walgreens building.

Our apartment is great, except maybe for the shower. As you can see from the picture, European showers are sit-in-the-tub and pour water on yourself type things. A little ridiculous.

Which would explain some of the smells on the street. Also, everyone here smokes. Babies, dogs, statues. Everyone. OK, maybe not babies technically, but if they were out on the street they would get a comparable amount of second hand smoke.

Those top 2 (after Ben sleeping in his old bed) are the view out our windows (we have 3, 1 foot off the floor, 7 feet tall, that open inward to the outside, no screen) right, then left respectively. The next ones are living room, followed by kitchen, bathroom (x2), bedroom(yes, it's really that color) and ben's room.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope Ben is feeling better soon. Poor guy. Did Beth start work right away?

WHAT??? No crepes?

Your place is nice (yes except for the weird shower and very tiny kitchen). I presume you will cook very little. Hope the food hunting goes well. xxx Mom A

Grandmo said...

I like your apartment, especially the warm colors. The part about no screens scares me, though, with a little explorer living there.....

Good luck on your quest for sustenance. I'm sure you'll find some interesting things to try.

Hope Ben feels better. Wish I could give him a hug, but you'll have to do it for me.

gracie's owner said...

Josh, keep blogging, its great!

We're praying for you all.

"Never give up, Never surrender" (what classic show is being spoofed in this movie quote?- and can you also name the movie? )

Josh Anderson said...

...No worries, Ben's not really that interested in the window.

And gracie's owner (alison?), I have no idea what movie is being spoofed or what movie it's from. Though it sounds like it might be belushi from Animal House.

Anonymous said...

Grandma/GreatG says have a strawberry crepe for her----looking forward to watching your adventure