Monday, November 1, 2010

Sleep? We don't need no stinkin' sleep!

So, a man, his wife and a toddler walk into an apartment (stop me if you've heard this one). The man says, "Boy, I'm beat! I'm going to sleep all night!" His wife says, "Me too, I'm wiped! I'm going to sleep all night and then some!" The toddler gives a big smile and says, "I'm exhausted, but I'm going to wake up three or four times and yell for someone. I'm going to have two poopy diapers, I'm not going to go back to sleep quietly, cause I'm exhausted, and I'm going to wake up at 6 for the day to top it all off!"

No? Nothing? Hmmm, that one killed when I told it to the audience I'm hallucinating in my head.

Since we had gone to bed at around midnight, long story, I was really happy to wake up at 3am. And then again at 4:30, just as I was starting to fall back asleep. After the 4:30 one I decided I didn't want to wake Beth up by getting back in bed, only to have my alarm go off at 6 so I could run. So instead I just went for a run at about 4:45. I got back at about 5:15 and took a bath till about 6. It took that long for our tub to fill up about 6 inches, but I didn't want to try to get back in bed and sleep for fear of waking Beth up. I'm sure Ben had some sort of stomach issue, but it still would have been nice if he had gone back to sleep after waking up again at 6.

An interesting time to run on Halloween night/morning in Paris; I learned several things. The first was that even though I still can't understand them, I have a much easier time knowing the exact words drunk/high French people are saying. Though a bit slurred, their words are a ton slower. I also learned that, at least on Halloween, there is no bar time. At least there wasn't at the clubs I passed on my run. So, if I sincerely want to learn French quickly, I believe I need to go on several all night clubbing runs and talk to as many drunk French people as possible. Why not? I'm not sleeping anyway, might as well learn something!

Beth stayed home to work on her book chapter, no idea how she can do work like that on no sleep...practice I guess, so Ben and I played from 6am till 10 and then headed to the park. After the park, we hit the grocery store (we had to walk quite a ways, the day after Halloween is like Labor day in America) and came home for a family nap. No sleep for Beth, one hour for me and a disappointing two for Ben. But he was fine all afternoon, so hopefully that just means he'll be tired enough to sleep through the night. Sure hope so, I have a no sleep headache that's killin' me.

Is it too early to get him a wife so she can take care of him before he starts yelling for mama at 2am?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

First of all - does it help if I tell you that it will get better, that SOME DAY he will be a regular "sleeper" ? I thought not! Second of all, I'm glad that I'm past the "wake me at any time of the night" toddler stage! (Now I'm at the I wake up 2-3 times a night old lady aches and pains, and have to go to the bathroom stage). Last of all...what a brave man you are to run at 4:45 am in Paris on Halloween. Most people probably thought that your costume was a white American runner. :) xxx Mom/Nana

Jeremy said...

Are there any redneck Frenchmen? Do any of them have odd drawls when they speak, or does it always sound like they are speaking like they know everything? Did you understand enough to know what they were saying to you? ("Sacre bleu, that white skinny dude is wearing shorts that go all the way to his knees! How absurd!") (I'm not sure what sacre bleu means, but I'm sure it sounds better in french anyway.)