Monday, November 15, 2010

Leuven Belgium


So, you shouldn’t notice, but today, and until we come home, I’m typing this in Word instead of on the blog site. Why, well, I’m glad you asked. The “I” key on the keyboard is starting to break, and Beth still needs this for work, so I’m typing this in Word and using Z’s instead of “i” ‘s and then using the find and replace function in order to give the “I” key a chance to last until home. You have no idea how difficult this is…

Beth said she learned a ton today, and Ben and I had a pretty good day too.

We all had the complimentary breakfast down in the bar and then Beth headed off to work. Ben and I waited till it got light out and then went out to explore.

I had no idea where I was going, but the hotel lady thought maybe there was a park in the general direction we were headed, so that’s the way we went.

After a bit, I saw a big church steeple, so we headed there. We got some pictures, and then headed back towards the middle of town, where I knew there were some interesting things to see.

About this time Ben got hungry, so we stopped at a café. Luckily, it seems that everyone here speaks English as well as Flemish and Dutch. Ben ate a blueberry muffin and most of a chocolate chip one and washed it down with some “Applesap” (apple juice).

Since the hostess was pregnant, I thought she might be sympathetic to our cause, so I asked her if there was a playground in town. She said no, then remembered where one might be. We went to check it out.

It was in a small public park and in front of the campus’ (Leuven (Lovin’) is a college town, the whole thing is a campus, like Madison) comp sci building. It was basically a ladder and a slide with some swings. We made the most of it though, and I showed Ben how to slide faster by picking up his feet and leaning back.

We played for a bit in the nearby tunnel seen in the picture and then headed towards home hoping to find some lunch.

It turns out nothing opens for lunch until noon, and even that is questionable. I stopped at a Thai place that looked good and said, “Open”, but when we went in, the lady said, sorry, we’re closed.

Same thing happened at a Turkish restaurant I found, their hours even said 11:45 (it was 11:55 at that point). Europe can be very annoying.

Finally, we found subway (that’s right, the same subway you know, except some different ingredients) and got some food.

Went home and we napped for a couple hours, watched daffy, bugs and Pluto for a bit (where Ben seemed to pick up that hitting is funny…I hope it’s a phase…) and then Beth came home.

We killed time till 6 (nothing opens for dinner till 6), then went to a pizza place that the doctor Beth worked with recommended. It was ok. We got dessert to go from the place we went to last night. Two Brussels waffles, one with ice cream and chocolate and the other with ice cream and Norwegian cherries.

Tomorrow there are no cases for Beth to observe, so it’s family exploration day. Woo hoo!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA HA HA HA...I get the pictures of you two - killing time. Verrrry clever! xxx Mom A

Josh Anderson said...

nope.

They were just sharp and dangerous looking knives, so Beth wanted a pic of us looking dangerous.

Jeremy said...

No offense to Beth, but I don't think she is capable of looking dangerous. A little ticked off, maybe, but not dangerous..... You, however, you look like you are almost right out of Pulp Fiction. Maybe. Oh, did you try any Belgian beer while there?

Josh Anderson said...

Funny story J, I wasn't going to out of respect for my pregnant wife, but after our train hassle, when we went to Tomry, I was about to say I'll have water when Beth shouted, "He'll have a beer!" I consented. Not sure what it was, but I asked for something light (as opposed to dark) that's not stella (which I found is now owned by bud). I got a very light beer, like bud or miller, but that tasted like a micro brew. And pizza night I had a Hoegaarden (again, Beth made me, I swear it!), another light beer that was very good.