Saturday, November 20, 2010

Eiffel off the tower! Get it? Ha!


Eiffel Tower day!

We arrived at our stop near the tower, and started walking. I got out the camera and started…

wondering why it wasn’t focusing.

Turns out the camera or the lens is broken. The other day the camera was in the backpack and I put it down, I don’t remember where, I think we were at home, but regardless, my hands were full with Ben and it must have been off balance because the bag slipped off of wherever it was and fell on the floor. It’s the only thing I can think of.

That and you may have noticed that the lens has several small spots on it. I can still take pictures, but I have to manually focus and risk many pictures being out of focus. All of today’s pictures are taken with the broken camera. The spots are starting to annoy me though, so I may try to get the lens cleaned at the very least if it’s not too expensive.

Anyway, we’re at the tower, Beth’s a little ahead of me and she looks back. I say, go ahead and get in line, I’m going to grab a quick picture, and head off to do so.

I get the picture and go to look for her. She’s not in line anywhere. Well, when lost, go to where you were and stay put. I went back, and there was Beth. Mildly unhappy. Like when you stick a bull with spears and wave a red flag at his face…that kind of mildly unhappy.

Turns out she didn’t hear me say a thing. Miscommunication for the win.

I almost forgot to mention the junk vendors. Post cards, mini Eiffel towers, Eiffel tower key chains, etc. There were also tons of gypsy ladies asking you to sign something. These ladies are everywhere, no idea why, but my guess is just to get your signature in order to facilitate the theft of your credit card. And finally, guys I haven’t seen before. Dudes running the 3 box scam. Put a marble under a box, move em around and have someone choose. How can it possibly be that there are people in this world who don’t know that it’s a rigged scam? Each of these guys had at least 5 people around them betting (and one of two pick pockets working the crowd I’m sure). How are there so many dumb people in the world?!

We got in line and went up. If you didn’t already suspect, allow me to confirm that the whole thing is very anti-climactic. It didn’t help that Ben was starving by the end of it. He did well but he was barely holding it together.

1.5 hours of waiting and 15 min of being up really high later, we were back on the train headed for home.

Lunch and naps for all (cept me, I’m writing this).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can you see your "house" from up there? Not literally I mean, just your street area. I forgot just how far you are from the tower. It is a cool view and nice pic of the shadow of the tower. xxx Mom

Josh Anderson said...

We're pretty far from the tower. We could have seen our house from there though. We can't see it because every street is built up seven or eight stories.

It's funny, but the pic I took of the Arc (I didn't post it, it's more zoomed in) is exactly the same shot, I mean exactly, that a professional took. Same zoom, same angle, same time of day I think.

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should join the family business....click :)