I was up before everyone else, so I headed outside to take a few pictures of Belle Isle, the hotel we were staying at.
After that, we headed back into Pont Audemer to get some breakfast. We could not find a single place that served any kind of breakfast, so we went to the bar we had lunch in the other day. That's another annoying thing about France, no one eats breakfast. For them, it's a croissant and a tiny tiny coffee. Beth thinks they have such tiny drinks due to the lack of public bathrooms. I think she has something there. Oh ya, and people start drinking with the sun. I never mentioned it before cause it didn't seem relevant, but sitting in a bar for breakfast and seeing how many people came in to have a morning beer or morning wine really brought it to mind.
Instead, we made for Honfleur and took the scenic route that the hotel lady suggested.
It did not disappoint!
After our ordeal the day before, we didn't want to mess with stopping too much because getting lost was not an appealing option. We did stop a few times though to get some pictures of the scenic landscape we were driving through. The few pictures we got do not do it justice!
After Beth got through shopping, we decided to stop for lunch. There were a lot of options.
I got it. Big time.
We got in and ordered. Ben had the child's plate...slices of ham and french fries. Beth got a Beth plate...noodles with some cheese on it, very bland. I got the whatthecrud is that plate...half a crab, escargot, prawns, shrimp. Mmmmm.
I made a mess. It looked like someone walked through the ocean section of a pet shop with a lawn mower. Two summers ago I used to know how to disect a crab and get the meat. I might have been able to do it again, but half a crab really threw me off. I had no idea where the meat was on the body. Instead, I just made due with the scrawny legs and pincher and pulled as much cold meat out as I could.
Beth ate a snail. (She wanted me to bold it and make it pink so you wouldn't miss that part)
I switched between crab legs, snail, prawns and shrimp. Heads flew. Legs were ripped from their carapace. Claws cracked. It was a massacre.
I piled the remains in a bucket and continued with my rampage.
So naturally, Ben stuffed the noodle into the chest cavity of the prawn.
Of course, as usual, Ben's dessert took forever to get to us, so Beth and Ben went to look at the bay while I waited for his dessert and then waited for the bill.
We headed back to the car and drove till we found the beach (Honfleur is located on the English channel, more or less).
After that, we headed back to the car, but not before Ben ran back and forth in the tunnel pretending he was a train many, many times.
We walked through Conteville and decided to take a look at their cemetery, but it started to rain. We walked by some geese that honked and hissed at us (weird geese with orange beaks), and by some sheep that started to book it into their pen to get out of the rain. I guess they didn't want to shrink. By this point it was really coming down. The cemetery was just past the sheep, so I snapped a couple quick shots, put my camera under my coat, and ran back to the car.
Got back to the hotel, changed, rested and then headed out to dinner. This time, at a different pizza place (there are 5 pizza places, maybe more in that town. I don't recall seeing a single normal restaurant). This time we got a pizza with chicken, curry, potatoes and cheese, kids pizza (ham and cheese. Ham is on and in everything in France. Yet in all our travels, I have yet to see a single pig. suspicious.) for Ben and ravioli with 3 cheeses and some meat.
Except, I have more pictures, so now I have to type something. Therefore, I'll take this opportunity to let you know I'm done for the night (it's 10:43, this one took me an hour and a half), but I'll get the next one up tomorrow!
No comments:
Post a Comment